NORTH WEST HOUSE LEAGUE
The Bow River Bruins Hockey Association is part of the North West House League (NWHL) together with the Crowfoot and Northwest Warriors Hockey Associations. All three Associations work together to put forth a great House League experience for our Bow River Families
The 2019-20 season will be the North West House League’s fifth year. Our past four years have been a success and it was determined that there is a considerable amount of interest for this stream of hockey. It is a viable option for many families, but note that if your child is new to hockey, house league or community (Bow River) hockey are both suitable choices. Players are to choose one program only.
The House League Program will be offered in addition to the traditional Community/Bow River Hockey for Novice (born 2012 and 2011), Atom (born 2010 and 2009) and PeeWee (born 2008 and 2007) aged players.
Some of the highlights for House League include:
- Two ice times per week. This will typically include one practice and one game per week once the game/regular season commences. The Schedule is currently set as below:
- Novice Ice times will be Sunday morning games and a practice during the week (3 out of 4 on Friday evening and 1 out of 4 on Thursday evening)
- Atom Ice times will be Saturday morning games and a practice during the week (3 out of 4 on Wednesday evening and 1 out of 4 on Thursday evening)
- PeeWee Ice Times will be Saturday afternoon games and a practice during the week on Tuesday evenings
- Evaluations will consist of 3 ice times in September.
- The HL Coordinators make their best efforts to balance the teams.
- Teams will practice in early October. The regular schedule will commence in mid-October and end in early March with a two week Christmas break. We plan to have 35 to 40 ice times scheduled per player.
- Ice times will be scheduled at Crowchild Twin Arenas in Scenic Acres and West Hillhurst Arena.
- No fundraising is allowed. The purchasing of ice for additional practices, exhibition games, and tournaments is not permitted.
- Due to the challenges of forming balanced teams and coach placement, there will be no friend requests offered. Only sibling requests will be considered.
Some of the differences between the House Leagues and Community (Bow River) Hockey include:
- House League offers a set schedule for the hockey season.
- With Community Hockey, players are evaluated to teams with players of similar abilities. Players are scheduled for two to three ice times a week and are varied. House League teams are balanced and all skill levels are on each team.
- House teams will NOT be sanctioned to play in any tournaments (in Calgary or outside of Calgary) or exhibition games.
- There will be NO cash calls/fund raising requirement, which is significantly less than what teams in Community Hockey experience.
- Hockey fees for the House League are less than Community Hockey fees mainly due to the different ice requirements and other fees required between the two streams. The 2019-2020 House League fee registration fee will be $725.
- The NW House League will consist of 8 Novice teams, 8 Atom teams and 4 PeeWee teams. Maximum team size is 18. We will wait-list players after these limits have been reached.
- Ice times will be 60 minutes in length, and for Peewee games 75 mins.
- Goalie rotation will be encouraged in Novice and Novice teams are provided with goalie equipment. Atom and PeeWee teams will have two designated goalies on a team with their own equipment where registration permits.
- Players will keep their game jersey at the end of the season.
- Players are to wear their team jersey for their practice ice times. Full equipment is needed including mouth guards.
- Jerseys, socks, team and individual photo memory mate are included in the registration fees.
- Games will follow all Hockey Calgary Rules and games will adhere to the Fair Play Code.
- One parent in each household must take the “Parent Respect In Sport” (RIS) online Course.* See below for more info. The RIS course now has a four year expiry. Those parents that took this course previous to 2016 will have to recertify prior to registration.
- Coaching requirements for House League teams can be found on our website under the Coach's Corner tab. Our coach clinic reimbursement policy can also be found there. [Various requirements may include: Respect In Sport - Activity Leader Program (online), Police Check, Safety program (online), Coach Level (online and classroom/on-ice) Checking (online and classroom/on-ice).
- Coaching selection will be managed by House League Coordinators. If you are interested in coaching on your child’s team, we ask you to fill out the online application below this write up.
- The NW House League is supported by Bow River Bruins Hockey Association, Hockey Calgary and the Calgary Flames Foundation.
- Volunteering is required from all parents. All HL teams require Coaches, a Team Manager, Score Keepers, and Time Keepers, as well as other various team positions.
- Coach development for both House and Community Hockey teams are the same.
- Space is limited for the House League while there are initially no space restrictions for Community (Bow River) Hockey. (*As planning progresses through the summer, space restrictions could be implemented in Community Hockey)
How to Register
Online registration will begin online July 1st, 2019 through the "registration" page of our website
*If you are new to hockey, you must first take the Parent “Respect In Sport” online course before you can register. The fee for this course is $12.60. This is the link:
- Choose “Bow River Bruins Hockey Assocaiton” as your hockey association. (Do not choose Calgary Bruins.) The $12.60 is not reimbursed by our Association and we do not have a ‘code’.
Should you have any questions regarding this program, please contact: