U7 TIMBITS HOCKEY
Bow River U7 Timbits Hockey - 2020/2021 Season Specific Information
As everyone is no doubt aware, this season will be one unlike any we have seen before. Bow River is working closely with Hockey Calgary to further clarify and communicate all of the COVID-19 related changes that need to be implemented.
New to the 2020-2021 season is the concept of a Cohort group (a maximum of 50 individuals who do not need to maintain physical distancing). For the U7 age that will mean a Cohort of 34-40 players (excluding coaches). At this time, Bow River anticipates having TWO U7 Cohorts. Instead of the traditional Junior / Senior designation, this season we will be dividing the U7 players into like skilled GOLD and BLACK divisions. This will help ensure even numbers within each cohort as well as an equal distribution of skill within the cohorts.
In past seasons, our U7 ice times have been on a set weekday at 4pm and Sunday mid-morning. Although the 4pm slot may not be the most desirable timeslot to some, it has given Bow River the chance to provide our U7 families with consistency in scheduling and to refrain from 6am weekend practices that some other associations utilize.
At this time, it is expected that spectators will be kept to a minimum (i.e. one parent per player and no additional siblings allowed in the building). We understand that the 4pm weekday time slots may cause scheduling conflicts for both coaching commitments as well as arrangements for childcare for additional siblings. Bow River is actively working with both Hockey Calgary and the Bowness Community Association to better define these spectator rules and regulations. As a result of the information we currently have at our disposal, we have made the decision to change the U7 scheduled ice times for the 2020-2021 season.
The following schedule will be in place:
- Saturday 7am - 8am
- Sunday 8am - 9am
- Saturday 8am - 9am
- Sunday 7am - 8am
In addition, our Monday Night Timbit Academy Program will run for each Timbit Cohort once a month, likely on the 1st Monday of each month, with Black and Gold alternating between a 4pm start and a 5pm start.
We have relied heavily on the help and support that so many coaches and on-ice helpers can provide to ensure these 4pm slots have plenty of helpers. Because we will be limited to approximately 10 coaches per cohort, we are asking that only those coaches who can COMMIT to attend the majority of U7 ice-times apply. We do not want to be in a situation where we have a coach who frequently misses ice times and as a result, we do not have enough helpers on the ice. As these cohorts are defined in scope, at this time we do not anticipate being able to allow one-off on-ice helpers to attend the scheduled ice times. Only those named coaches will be permitted on the ice. Coaching applications must be made online: https://www.bowriverhockey.ca/coachs-corner/ Questions regarding coaching can be directed to 1st VP Kealy Lambert at email@example.com
We hope this new schedule will allow the U7 families the consistency and predictability in scheduling, while also ensuring we have committed coaches to help form our cohort groups.
U7 families can expect evaluations to commence after the Labour Day weekend. Please note that given the available ice times we have during September, U7’s will likely see some 4pm weekday evaluation time slots. The Saturday and Sunday schedules will commence in late September once Cohorts are formed.
We look forward to the start of the hockey season and welcome all new and returning Bow River Bruins Families!
General overview of the Traditional Bow River U7 Timbits program:
- The focus of the U7 Timbits program is on developing the FUNdamentals of hockey.
- The U7 Timbits program is suitable for all skill ranges from just learning to the next Gaudreau.
- Your player will have 2 practices per week.
- Practices will have multiple teams on the ice at once. Generally the skaters rotate through various stations/activities in smaller groups, bookended by a larger group activity.
- Junior teams are generally first year players but can also include second year players based on a beginner skill level. Senior teams are generally second year players but can also include first year players based on a more advanced skill level.
- In September all registered U7 Timbit players will have some assessment skate times. This allows the coordinators to build balanced teams (skill wise) to ensure a fun environment for all the U7 Timbit players. These sessions are not considered evaluations and teams will not be built on a tiered skill level. The teams may be at a different level than other organizations due to numbers registered in U7 Timbits or skill variations and can also change throughout the year as children develop in different ways and at different rates.
- There are no requests for days of the week. Players will be placed on their team and that will determine their hockey schedule for the remainder of the season. You will find this out on draft night.
- A team draft will take place in September. The regular hockey schedule will begin in October.
- Each child will be presented a team jersey and socks at the draft when the teams are announced, so please make sure that you bring your own jersey and socks to the placement sessions. Jerseys are provided by Tim Horton’s and must be returned at the end of the season to be used again next season. Socks may be kept.
- Please equip your child with their own, personal, labelled water bottle with a long spout so that it will go through their helmet cage.
- Volunteers are what make this program and all hockey programs great! There are many opportunities for parents to volunteer and there is an expectation that each family will contribute in some way to their team or the U7 Timbits program.
- Bow River Timbits runs a Timbits event in December between Christmas and New Year’s. All the Timbit families in the program run it and each of our teams will play in the tournament. This is a fundraising opportunity for our teams and another great volunteer opportunity.
- Children must be dressed in full equipment – see image for details. Mouthguards are optional at the U7 Timbits level.
- Hockey Calgary allows U7 Timbits teams to play additional sanctioned games above and beyond their weekly practices. These games are arranged by and funded by each individual team. The games are optional but must not exceed the age group game limits.